Tuesday, February 16, 2010

... be In the Mood for Love?

You know how there are some movies you can watch over and over again, loving it more and more each time? In my book, Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love is such a movie. Last week, a bunch of us attended a screening at the Harvard Film Archive. Most of us have seen (and loved) the movie umpteen times, while some watched it for the first time.

The first time I watched In the Mood for Love, I was instantly captivated by 3 things: the lush cinematography; the strangely mesmerizing soundtrack (Yumeji's Theme, Nat King Cole's rendition of Quizás, Quizás, Quizás; and the Angkor Wat Theme) and all the gorgeous cheongsams Maggie Cheung wears in the movie.

Each subsequent time I watched it, I found myself increasingly captivated by the same 3 things-- I took a mental note of the narrow red corridor outside of room 2046, marveled at the apropos timing of the 3 main musical themes, and remembered more of the striking cheongsam prints. However, I also slowly began to realize the reason I love this movie so much is because it is hauntingly romantic. Unlike most romantic movies of the modern era, the 2 protagonists of this love story never kissed and barely held hands. Both their suffering and love lingers, subtly drawing sympathy from the audience. There is so much restraint and hesitation on both ends, and yet the yearning is strong. So little is verbalized, and yet so much is understood. I suppose I must be a romantic at heart.

1 comment:

  1. One of my all-time favourite movies which i have watched again and again.

    I remember the first time I watched it was in London. I went with an unexpected group Wong Kar Wai fans - a Mexican chef and a Greek Architecture student. They have watched all of Wong Kar Wai's movies before that!

    It is exactly that which makes it beautiful- so much understanding and refined eloquence in their reticence... That and how, visually, every scene is like a 'considered painting'.

    ReplyDelete