Wednesday, February 3, 2010

... find a way to relight your first love?

It seems so long ago since I left architecture school. Have I ever told you I have architect-envy? I always did and even now, sometimes I still do! There is such a strong desire in me to create something tangible, real and visual rather than just within Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint. But somehow, my natural curious self brought me on other exciting journeys, new interests and ambitions.

No regrets at all because I loved the journey - every bit of it - whether it was the start-up adventures or getting lost in the banking titans of the world.

But that meant I slowly muted the designer/ creator/ architect in me. I always had a great excuse - that I would mind terribly if I were an 'imperfect' or mediocre designer, as one does with one's first love. Fortunately, last year, Mr C decided to move to another apartment in Hong Kong and thought it would be a perfect chance for me to play designer.

It was excitement, pride and uncertainty all at the same time! Sure, I can't draw or visualise in 3D like I used to (there must be a muscle somewhere I need to rescuscitate) and I had help from my favourite fellow architecture studio chum. Sure, we are still missing quite a few pieces of furniture, still discussing (again) if we should re-do the kitchen and still wondering why we never seem to complete the project fully even after 9 months...

But it made me realised how much I miss my first love.

I promise a more comprehensive post in another 3 months. But here's sneak peeks of the project, before and after:

Before: This is the entrance, complete with streetside hawker-inspired stainless steel storage, doors and cold, grey granite flooring. You can't see it but there is faux daylight on the ceiling.


Before: This strange alcove connects to the living room. It has a 70s-but-not-chic display cabinet and get this, a MURPHY BED!

After: Same view as the Before above. We laid out the space differently and sealed up the alcove and created a feature wall of built-in book shelves in the living room. The volume of the alcove is now part of the master bedroom as a walk-in wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment