Thursday, February 18, 2010

... find an unexpected muse?

I first met Yian at my going-away party at Capella 4 months ago. My best friend had asked him to come because Yian's just moved back to Singapore from New York (and I suppose he could 'inherit' my friends since I'm going away?!) So there he was, walking... no, swaggering... into my party, pretty models in tow and a snappy-happy camera in hand. Hmmmm. His saving grace was his infectious inquisitiveness and a somewhat sharp wit.

Yian Huang is a photographer. A Rafflesian and Bain management consultant turned photographer. His works have been exhibited at the Palais du Louvre in Paris, the Singapore Art Museum, and in Russia, Italy and the US; and seen on the pages of the Economist, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated. And he tells me his mission is to document social conflicts and world issues, and to connect with his subjects in a sensitive and intimate manner. Most importantly, beyond being a photographer, he wants to teach, inspire and mentor others to connect with the world around them. Maybe it is that earnest yet determined way he said it... But at that moment, there I was - Fascinated. Inspired. Moved.

It was not just a passing "wow, that's cool" moment. Over the next couple of months, I found myself hankering for the whole photographer's kit and caboodle. Eventually of course, I was kindly advised that it was the technique and the ability to capture the decisive moment that will create great pictures.

Very recently, someone told me I seem to wear my rose-tinted glasses to see the world. Never quite thought of it that way. But what I really want is to see the world behind Yian's camera lens (or perhaps my own someday) - there is something so vivid, intense and alive from behind that lens! Here are some pictures of the West Bank through his eyes:





If you're in Singapore, you can catch Yian's exhibition at Raffles Junior College from 22 - 26 February 2010 - -The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.

A dialogue session Conflict Photography: Conversations with Yian will be at 1630 - 1830 hrs on the 26 February at RJC Lecture Theatre 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment