Friday, February 19, 2010

...celebrate Valentine's Day in a different way?

When I was 15, we celebrated V-Day (the abbreviated version of Valentine's Day that we used) on 13 Feb, so that those who had boyfriends then could celebrate with their boyfriends on the actual day itself. So it was called a pre-V-Day celebration and the venue was always Chili's until it closed. By that time, we also stopped having pre-V-Day celebrations.

The recent re-opening of Chili's in Singapore has brought back some memories, so perhaps it is time to gather the girls and head down for some stupid, noisy fun.

When I was 18, I broke up with my then-boyfriend on Valentine's Day. Needless to say, that wasn't a very good V-Day.

When I was... well, I can't really remember much about the subsequent V-Days. V-Days had a different meaning after I found out it falls on the same day as the birthday of somebody whom I don't really like. Just kidding!

Even as a hopeless romantic, the older I got, the less important V-Days became. When you become more discerning to the ways of the world, you realise that it's all a commercial gimmick and seriously, if two people are in love, everyday should be Valentine's Day (awwwwwww) and you really don't need a special day to celebrate it.

Inspired by the movie, "Valentine's Day", I feel like organising a "I hate Valentine's Day" celebration next year. Check back with me or remind me about it next year. I loved that scene where Jennifer Garner beat up the stupid heart. Now THAT would be a different way to celebrate Valentine's Day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment