Sunday, February 7, 2010

.....get a new best friend?

I recently welcomed the latest addition to my family – Miss A. She is pure sunshine trotting on 4 legs, always cheery and trying to get into some trouble! Some friends just can’t stop gushing about what a sweet little pup she is, while others who do not share my passion for dogs wondered why in the world I would love having a little ball of fur rampaging through the house, trying to chew on anything she can reach with that mouth full of pearly whites!

While I do not subscribe to the overly romantic notion that dogs are pure love and can do no wrong, perhaps the reason people love their dogs so much, is that dogs are like innocent children playing at the playground, ALL the time! Just like humans, dogs are highly emotive creatures. As I’m typing this, A is letting me know that she’s bored that I would rather tap away at my laptop than play fetch, or go for a walk. But hey, she’s also glad to just lie and sleep at my feet till I’m done. Of course, sometimes she’ll have no qualms about climbing onto my chair and with her paw on my arm, urge me to go for that walk!

Some might think its sadly anthropomorphic to ascribe emotions to animals like dogs, but anybody who has had any contact with dogs will tell you that they are just as capable of emotions like joy, sadness or jealousy (probably in that order!).

I'm looking forward to our little adventures and life together!



1 comment: